The new regional hospital in Heerhugowaard, The Netherlands, needs to be designed and built in just five years. A very short time frame compared to traditional Dutch health care projects. Deerns is a participating partner in a consortium with architect Cepezed, structural engineer ABT and Cure & Care, a planning and project management.
The design for this medical centre was made using REVIT Building Information Modelling software. This enabled the required integrated approach as the project team works simultaneously within the same model, thus immediately visualising design issues and challenges. This approach allows for a highly efficient design phase.
- Amongst the first hospitals in The Netherlands to use BREEAM as a sustainability strategy.
- Integrated design through Building Information Modelling techniques, enabling entire design team collaboration.
- Design of flexible demountable elements by integrating architecture and specific techniques.
- Timescale pressure as the hospital should be ready for opening in 2015. The new facility will replace the outdated hospital in Alkmaar, a location in which our client no longer wishes to invest.
- Operating rooms and other medical functions will be state-of-the-art in the new hospital. The strategy of the client is to centralize all the top clinical interventions in this building, rather than invest them in their existing building. If the new facility is not commissioned on time, the current location will have to be completely renovated in 2015, resulting in substantial additional costs.